I've said many times that NY State will not attempt to pass another so-called "SAFE" Act. But then again why should the anti-gunners in Albany do so when they can conveniently accomplish their goals by passing a few gun control bills year after year after year...
They passed 7 gun related laws in 2019. Nine  were on the books last year until the COVID pandemic curtailed their enthusiasm. Expect all 9 to be reintroduced this year. Four  2021 bills exist in the Assembly and Senate already and this one may just be the most egregious. You might want to ask yourself, "To what extent will Albany continue to harass law-abiding citizens with laws totally ignored by the criminal segment of our population?"
NY Assembly A3829 and NY Senate 1605 Requires a purchaser of any firearm, rifle or shotgun to submit to a mental health evaluation and provide the seller with his or her approval to purchase such firearm.
- BEFORE ANY SALE, EXCHANGE, OR DISPOSAL PURSUANT TO THIS ARTICLE, A PURCHASER OF ANY FIREARM, RIFLE OR SHOTGUN SHALL SUBMIT TO A MENTAL HEALTH EVALUATION AND PROVIDE THE SELLER WITH PROOF OF HIS OR HER APPROVAL TO PURCHASE SUCH FIREARM, RIFLE OR SHOTGUN PURSUANT TO SUBDIVISION (M) OF SECTION 7.09 OF THE MENTAL HYGIENE LAW.
- THE COMMISSIONER SHALL ESTABLISH WITHIN THE OFFICE OF MENTAL HEALTH AN ADMINISTRATIVE PROCESS FOR THE MENTAL HEALTH EVALUATION OF ANY INDIVIDUAL PRIOR TO SUCH INDIVIDUAL'S PURCHASE OF ANY FIREARM, RIFLE OR SHOTGUN.
- THE COMMISSIONER SHALL DETERMINE:
- THE MENTAL HEALTH PROFESSIONALS APPROVED TO PERFORM SUCH EVALUATION,
- THE PROCESS FOR EVALUATION BY SUCH MENTAL HEALTH PROFESSIONALS AND
- THE DEVELOPMENT OF A STANDARDIZED FORM TO BE USED BY THE MENTAL HEALTH PROFESSIONAL PERFORMING SUCH EVALUATION TO APPROVE OR DENY AN INDIVIDUAL FOR PURCHASE OF A FIREARM, RIFLE OR SHOTGUN.
Call and/or send an email today!
Brian Manktelow Pam Helming
NY Assembly District 130 NY Senate District 54
District Office: District Office:
Phone: 315-946-5166 Phone: 315-568-9816