SCOPE Political Questionnaire by Tom Reynolds
This is an election year at both the state and federal level and many of us will have the opportunity to ask questions of the candidates. To get you started, below are a series of questions, some of which you might want to ask. Pick and choose as appropriate.
- Do you believe the purpose of the 2nd Amendment is:
Hunting? Self Defense? Defense against foreign threats? Defense against domestic threats?
Constitutional Carry? Shall Issue? May issue?
Handguns? Rifles? Shotguns? Automatic firearms? Semi-automatic firearms? Firearms?
30 round magazines? 10 round magazines? 5 round magazines?
Does it require Senate approval as a treaty?
More Crime? Less Crime? Has negligible effect?
- Do you believe a gun owner must retreat, before using deadly force, when faced with an unlawful intruder inside their house?
- Do you believe a home owner has the right to use deadly force inside the house to protect lives and/or property?
- Do you believe a gun owner engaged in self-defense must retreat, before using deadly force, when outside their house?
- Do you believe a home owner has the right to use deadly force outside the house to protect lives and / or property?
- As to firearm licenses, should New York State be:
- Do you support legislation for total or partial bans any of the following:
- Do you support the USA rejoining the United Nations Arms Trade Treaty?
- Do you support New York residents being able to directly (not through an FFL) purchase ammo over the internet?
- Do you support New York residents being able to directly purchase firearms over the internet, using an FFL and following NICS regulations?
- Do you believe localities can pass more restrictive firearms laws than state statutes without the state’s permission?
- Since 1988, The United States Undetectable Firearms Act made illegal any firearm that is not detectable by walk-through metal detection. Given that, do you believe we need more state or federal “Ghost Gun laws?
- Do you believe that increased civilian firearms ownership leads to:
- Do you support the 2005 “Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act” (PLCAA)?
- Do you believe the 2005 PLCAA supersedes and nullifies any state laws to the contrary?
- Do you believe that the NYS law classifying firearms as a nuisance violates the PLCAA?
- Do you believe Self-Defense is a right and the 2nd Amendment protects - and does not grant that right?
- Does the 2nd Amendment restrict firearms only to members of militia or other government agencies?
- Do you support legislation requiring microstamping?
- Do you support pistol permit reciprocity with other states?
- Do you support Safe Storage laws?
- Do you support a gun purchase waiting period longer than the NICS required 3 days?
- Do you support laws limiting firearm purchases to a specific number per time period?
- Do you support laws limiting ammo purchases to a specific number per time period?
- Do you believe firearm possession is limited to only inside the residence?
- Do you support restricting ammo purchases only to the caliber of gun owned by the purchaser?
- Do you support mandatory liability insurance for all gun owners?
- Do you support enhanced sentences for those that use a firearm while committing a felony?
- Do you support a ban on firearms over a certain caliber? If so, what caliber_______________
For a Printable copy of the questionnaire: CLICK HERE